Vale Ernest Pomfrett

Vale Ernest William Pomfrett

15/11/1933- 6/8/2016

Ernie played his first game of football for Group 6 with Thirlmere 3rd grade when he was only 13 years old, having only learnt about the game a few weeks before. He played with Thirlmere, loving the game until 1952.

In 1952, he changed to play A Grade for the Picton Magpies. He found that he loved A Grade even more. Ernie played with some very good players and learnt a lot more about the game. He soon became known for his good tackling and good clean play.

In 1953, Ernie received his first trophy, “Most Improved Forward”. He was very proud of himself as he was a devoted player of the game. 

In 1955, Ernie moved to Warragamba to work so he joined the Warragamba A Grade team. He played well and received his second trophy, “Best and Fairest”.

In 1957, Warragamba changed to reserve grade. This proved to be a better year for Warragamba, winning the Grand Final against Robertson 13-9. Ernie was very pleased to received a blazer (which he has kept).

In 1959, Warragamba played the Oaks in the Grand Final at Bowral. The Oaks had Ernie marked and he received a broken bone in the first half. But he played on; “Just had to see the game out”. Warragamba won 15-9.

In 1960, Ernie joined Penrith A grade. He played with some ‘very nice chaps’; Merv Cartwright and Allan Hatter, to name a few. It was the first time Ernie had been paid to play, although he would of played for nothing as he loved playing football. 

In 1963, Ernie returned to Warragamba. The next year, Ernie received a trophy for “Best Forward”.

In 1965, Ernie played over 200 games for Warragamba and was given a trophy to mark the occasion. This was his favourite and most prized of all his trophies.

In 1966, Ernie hurt his knee very badly and only played one game. But he was back again in 1967. Ernie also coached and watched his three sons playing for Warragamba during the 1960s. 

In 1969, Ernie and his family moved to Warilla where his sons played and Ernie coached for the Warilla Gorillas.

In 1978, Ernie returned to Warragamba as a coach. He coached for a few more years after that. After his coaching years were over, Ernie became an active member of the Warragamba Wombats for many years.

As a coach, he was always ready with words of advice, encouragement, a helpful tip or a listening ear.

Ernie retired to Ulladulla in the 1990s.

Ernie was very often seen at Warragamba Wombat games watching his grandsons play. He loved nothing more than football and watching his grandsons play. He always wore his pride on his sleeve and a smile on his face whist watching his grandsons play, no matter if it was his grandson playing for Milton/Ulladulla Bulldogs or his grandsons playing for Warragamba Wombats, Ernie was proud of them. 

Ernie has a well respected name within the Group 6 CRL. He played football as he lived his life: clean, fair and honest.

SHARE Facebook Link Twitter Link Print The Page
Facebook Link Instagram Link Twitter Link