Vale – Kevin Hogan

Born 15 January, 1945 – Passed Away 3 August, 2020

Cronulla Shark, Kevin Hogan passed away in early August, aged 75. A clever halfback and five eighth, he joined Cronulla in 1969 and had five seasons with the club. With the Sharks, he played 109 grade games, including 45 in first grade, where he scored six tries and a field goal. He then moved to Parramatta for one season, where he played 14 first grade matches, scoring three tries. A St. George junior, he was graded with the Saints in 1963 and at 18 years of age, played in the third grade Grand Final, which St. George won 12-2 against Canterbury. He played with Wentworthville in 1964, where he was a member of the second division, reserve grade Premiership winning team and then moved on to Newtown in 1965. With Newtown, he suffered a serious back injury in June which caused him to miss one and a half seasons of football. Moving down to the South Coast, he began playing again in 1967 with the Corrimal club in the Illawarra competition. His back again began to cause him some problems at the end of 1967, so he did not play in 1968, although he enjoyed a memorable occasion when he married Pat that year. With some long-term treatment, his back troubles eased and towards the end of 1968, he decided to become a Shark in 1969. Although he played the majority of his matches, in his first season, with the third grade team who were coached by his brother-in-law, Peter Armstrong, he did make his first grade debut, playing three games off the bench. The thirds won the 1969 minor premiership, but lost a tight major semi final, 7-5, to eventual premiers, South Sydney. His first match as a starter in first grade, was at Endeavour Field on 17 May 1970 against Wests, when he was a late replacement for the injured, John Monie. He played 12 top grade games in 1970 and then 21 matches in 1971, when he took over from captain/coach Tommy Bishop, who was injured early in the season.
buy priligy Canada no prescription

Kevin had an outstanding season in 1971 and was beaten for the prestigious Rothman’s Medal, by just one point by Denis Pittard, while in the 1971 Sun-Herald Best and Fairest Player Award, he tied for first place with Pittard. Cronulla finished seventh in 1971 and at the end of the season, the Endeavour Cup was held at Cronulla’s Ground for the eight teams who did not make the top four. On Sunday 12 September 1971, Kevin captained the Sharks to a 20-13 win over Canterbury in the final. To reach the final, Cronulla had beaten Penrith, 15-3 and Wests 20-19 and for winning the Cup, the club received $6,000. In 1973, he played for the Sharks in the major semi final against Manly and was on the bench for the Grand Final. After his one season with Parramatta, Kevin returned to the Illawarra competition as captain/coach of Northern Suburbs for two seasons. He then had a few seasons as a non playing coach with the Engadine Dragons before returning to Cronulla as a lower grade non playing coach with the under 23s and reserve grade side, between 1985 and 1990. In his time as a Sharks coach, he played a major role in the development of such talented players as Andrew Ettingshausen, Mark McGaw, Jonathan Docking, Barry Russell, Alan Wilson and Michael Porter. In 1989, Kevin was elected to the Sharks Board and for the next few years, he worked hard to steer the club through a difficult period. Graham Wilson, who played three Tests from the Newtown club, is another brother-in-law, while NSW State of Origin representative, Alan Wilson, is a nephew, as is Jimmy Hogan, who also played with the Sharks. Kevin’s son, Glen, was also a Sharks player.
buy singulair Canada no prescription

Survived by his wife Pat, sons Glen and Scott, plus grandchildren James, Harry, Lillian and Maxwell, Kevin will have a private funeral, due to the Corona Virus. A celebration of his life will be held at the appropriate time.

SHARE Facebook Link Twitter Link Print The Page
Facebook Link Instagram Link Twitter Link